Monday, April 1, 2013

Hold On the the Center


04-01-2013
Tao Te Ching Verse 5:
MANTRA: "I work at eliminating all of my judgments of others.” ~ W.Dyer
           
            I choose to marinate in this verse for a weekend because it is a tough one. It is easy to say and intend, but much harder to practice. Professionally and personally, many of us are in the business of judging others. A teacher must grade his student’s work and decide who is smart, who needs to try harder and who did not learn. A banker must decide who is fit for a loan. A manager must determine who deserves a promotion and who is underperforming. Parents judge which kids are good role models. A spouse asks her partner if she is being too nice at work. Every day we make numerous judgments of others, so what does it mean to eliminate them?
            The answer for me is in the idea, “Hold on to the center.” My center is infinite possibility and the importance of context. My work is to nurture the belief that my point of view comes from my unique experiences and is just one way of seeing the world. Even though it may feel like it sometimes, I do not know any ultimate Truth better than someone else.
            Over the weekend I noticed what happens when I judge another person. I tell myself a story about their motives or identity based on things like information about the past, their body language, how they look, what they said, and/or how they said it. For example when a friend bought an expensive sports car I had the thought, “This is an impractical purchase,” and when a loved one got a tattoo, I had the thought, “The tattoo will be a big regret.” Thankfully I believe I am not my thoughts. I have meditated many times on the phrase, “Neti, Neti, Neti, I am not this thought I am not that thought, I am not thought.” Thanks to the study and practice of the Tao I was able to let those judgments float in and then out of my consciousness so I could be fully present in sharing the joy my loved ones were feeling about new experiences in their life. 

Tao Te Ching Verse 5:
The Tao doesn't take sides;
it gives birth to both good and evil.
The Master doesn't take sides;
she welcomes both saints and sinners.

The Tao is like a bellows:
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
The more you use it, the more it produces;
the more you talk of it, the less you understand.

Hold on to the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment