Sunday, April 7, 2013

Kitty Wisdom


04-07-2013
Tao Te Ching Verse 8:
MANTRA: “I live in accordance with nature and therefore never go against the way of things.”

      My jet black cat, Slash never seems to go against his nature. When he is hungry he meows and searches for food, and if he is playful then he scampers up and down the stairs. When he wants love he begins to purr and rub his soft fur against my skin, but if he wants solitude he finds a nice dark cupboard to hide in.
      Despite all the negative stereotypes of black cats, I doubt Slash ever has to remind himself to “Be Me.” But sometimes I do. If later on today I was going to meet someone I admired for the first time (Ellen, Oprah, Shakira) I would probably remind myself to breathe and act natural. In the past few months I have had meetings with industry professionals who are interested in my research, and in the meeting my heart would race and I felt wound up and nervous. I wanted to impress and appear credible, responsible and professional, but instead of allowing the connection to emerge naturally I was focused on being an imagined best self they would fall in love with.
      I don’t think Slash worries about whether someone is a cat lover or not. He doesn’t try to amplify some parts of his personality and downplay others to be more likable or marketable. But cats are not as complex as humans are. Both human and cat brains are extraordinary pattern recognition machines, but unlike Slash we are also meaning making machines with personal values and beliefs that structure our internal mental universe. However, despite the authority of my brain to govern my behavior, I have serious doubts that my true nature can be found there.
      As an alternative to my head, I believe in consulting the wisdom of the heart. Heart coherence research has shown that positive emotions such as appreciation and love increase intuition and represent the body’s optimal physical and mental state. Enjoyment, relaxation, empathy, and appreciation create stable patterns in heart rate whereas anger and other negative emotions do not. These coherent heart rate patterns allow the body and mind to communicate and operate fully which improves my health and well-being.
      My cats may not have the brainpower to discuss politics or the connections to employ me full-time, but they are a constant source of love I receive simply for being me.  

Tao Te Ching Verse 8:
The supreme good is like water,
which nourishes all things without trying to.
It is content with the low places that people disdain.
Thus it is like the Tao.

In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
and don't compare or compete,
everybody will respect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment