Thursday, April 4, 2013

Other People Matter


04-03-2013
Tao Te Ching Verse 7:
MANTRA: “It is through selfless action that I experience my own fulfillment.”

        Other people matter is one of the most significant findings in the research of Positive Psychology. A number of studies show that positive relationships are a key factor in living a happy and meaningful life. I read an article today that found some provocative differences between people in relationships who describe themselves as givers and those that describe themselves as takers. In this survey study, the people who said they were givers were less happy than takers. However givers reported having a more meaningful life than takers.
        Is it more important to be happy or to be fulfilled? How can we be happy and fulfilled? When happiness is the goal one might choose to spend their time enjoying what money can buy, having fun and relaxing, however too much focus on oneself might make a person self-absorbed and shallow. A focus on being happy therefore may not be enough.  
        The most basic way I can think of to practice selfless action is by listening to others. The next time you are in a dialogue with another person try being mindful about how actively you are listening, whether you are waiting to say something or thinking about something entirely unrelated. Giving my undivided attention to someone is difficult even when that person is my loved one, but the service towards another person’s need to be loved provides me with meaning and purpose in my life. I know that the quality of my relationships relate directly to the amount of attention I invest. Simple and selfless, I challenge you to keep your attention from wandering the next time you greet a service professional, sit down for a meal or connect with a friend. Smile, look into their eyes, ask an interesting question and devour their words like you would a delicious morsel!
 
Tao Te Ching Verse 7:
The Tao is infinite, eternal.
Why is it eternal?
It was never born;
thus it can never die.
Why is it infinite?
It has no desires for itself;
thus it is present for all beings.

The Master stays behind;
that is why she is ahead.
She is detached from all things;
that is why she is one with them.
Because she has let go of herself,
she is perfectly fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment