Friday, March 29, 2013

Meaning Making Machines


03-28-2013
Tao Te Ching Verse 4:
MANTRA: "The Tao is empty but inexhaustible.” ~ W.Dyer

            My wife once asked me why the floor was underneath me. I was confused by the question because the answer seemed so obvious. I replied, “Because it is on the ground.” She shook her head and asked again, “Why is the floor underneath you?” A bit incredulously I replied again, this time a bit louder, “Because I stand on it.” She shook her head and repeated the question. Again and again my responses missed the point of the question. “Because I can’t fly, The floor belongs on the bottom.” Finally I gave up in frustration and asked her to tell me the answer. She smiled wide and said, “The floor is underneath you because the floor is underneath you.”
            I did not get it at first, but eventually I realized the lesson is that I am the meaning making machine. I give meaning to the symbols, words, and sounds I perceive in my environment. These words I write are lines and squiggles that represent something meaningful in my mind and now in yours. We are free to make meaning of the events, words, thoughts and feelings in our lives, but how often do we realize that power? And maybe more importantly how often do we fail to grasp how culture influences what is real?
            Today on NPR I heard a story about US military drills in South Korea. Later in the day I saw the new Morgan Freeman movie about a hostile takeover by Korea of the White House. Clearly the lines between what is real and imagined are becoming harder to see. But lucky for us, we have the ability to question and decide for ourselves what it means and how it influences our opinions, choices and beliefs.

Tao Te Ching Verse 4:

"The Tao is like a well:
used but never used up.
It is like the eternal void:
filled with infinite possibilities.

It is hidden but always present.
I don't know who gave birth to it.
It is older than God."

No comments:

Post a Comment